Milton

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Mar 4 10:47:59 PST 1999

I am going to take this opportunity (thanks, Carrol for providing a good response to Pollak), to alte my remarks about the Paradise Lost parallel in Tolkien's work (Carrol and I have been discussing this mostly offlist). I said that Melkor/Morgoth (Satan equivalent) was a wannabe monarch. But, in fact, he looks more like a Protestant bourgeois capitalist against the anti-industrial feudal Catholicism of Tolkien's Paradise. In "The Music of the Ainur" Melkor's original rebellion is that of introducing discordant notes and melodies into the celestial music of the Ainur led by Eru/Iluvatar (God equivalent). Obviously this is nasty Protestants disrupting the Pope and then, of course, Sauron and Saruman were industrial capitalists cutting down trees and building ugly factories. This "green" aspect was one part of Tolkien's popularity with hippies in the late 60s. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, March 04, 1999 12:04 PM Subject: Re: Milton