Death Penalty

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:40:14 PST 1999

>Rkmickey at aol.com wrote:
>
>>And of course abortion is quite widespread in both countries,
>>even compulsory under certain circumstances in China.
>
>Views come in such wild combinations that litmus tests almost always
>fail -- i.e., there are almost no single issues which act as a predictor
>of a person's overall politics.
>
>Abortion is one of the few such issues. Those who regard abortion
>as even remotely related to murder are simply not trustworthy as
>comrades. There must be exceptions -- I've just not met one in the
>last 25 years. This is one issue on which even almost all Catholic
>radicals split with their church.
>
>Carrol

Interesting that Rkmickey doesn't get my point at all. *Pro-death penalty* sentiments and *anti-abortion* sentiments are usually related in America (with a very limited number of exceptions), about which his post says nothing. Lots of Americans--including a good deal of leftists--are more into punishment than those in many other countries.

Yoshie