A Modest Proposal (was RE: Guthrie to Maggie and Max)

Sat Mar 6 13:51:25 PST 1999

If it is not murder, the victims of a crime might often be witnesses in the courtroom. Who do you think the main witness is in a rape ? The dead person is not a witness only for obvious reasons.

Charles Brown at law

>>> Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> 03/06/99 08:58AM >>>
Re:

>... Guthrie was a bit more familiar with Max's own
>presumed tradition... "rule of law rather than of men"
>...than Max himself....
>
>Because if we stick to this tradition of rule of law, then while it might
>be a very nice gesture on the part of the people, acting
>through their government, to establish some sort of compensation
>for victims of crime, those victims have no damn fucking place
>in the courtroom, as victims. It is "We the People:" against whom
>the crime was committed...

Very interesting. As one of "we the people" I would like to point out that I am not dead, and that the victim is.

I am against the death penalty. But it has always seemed to me that the claim that the victim has no place in a criminal law proceeding is simply whacko...

Brad DeLong