teaching social inequality / income

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 8 13:28:26 PST 1999

a request from another list, send replies to list and i'll forward or directly to ray at HUTCHR at gbms01.uwgb.edu

thanks, kelley ---------------

Thought I would direct everyone to an article given to me by our economist from the September-October 1996 issue of Challenge magazine by Timothy Smeeding on America's Income Inequality: Where do we stand which shows that of twenty five industrial nations, the US has the most unequal distribution of any country except the Soviet Union. It was kind of a show-stopper in our social problems class this morning.

Can someone direct me to more recent information concerning lifetime wealth and the estate tax data? I have an older write up of this (average income was $27,000 so it probably is a decade old). This is the data from the estate taxes filed with IRS which show lifetime wealth; 90 percent of all Americans have net wealth of only some $30,000 and half of this group (45 percent) have lifetime wealth of less than $3000 at the time of this earlier information. Anyone seen more recent data?

Thanks.

Ray