teaching social inequality / income

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 8 18:17:53 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>> In the issue of The Nation that goes to press this Wednesday, there will
>> the first installment of a page of quarterly social indicators I'll be
>> doing. The topic of the premiere is inequality and poverty, and there's a
>> chart of income classes (low, middle, and high income, defined relative to
>> the national median) based on the work of Smeeding & Co. at the Luxembourg
>> Income Study. For those of you who don't read The Nation, a similar chart
>> (less snazzy graphically, since it'll be done by me and not a real graphic
>> artist) will be in LBO #89.
>
>Numbers . . . in The Nation? Thank god I was
>sitting down when I read this. If they print
>a chart I may have to be sedated.

What's your poison, Max? A little Prolixin maybe?

Three charts, not merely one. Besides the income class numbers, there'll be a chart of real incomes of the poorest 20%, middle 20%, and richest 5%, and a chart of the number of hours of work it'd take the average worker to buy the S&P 500 from 1890-1999 (i.e. S&P/average hourly manufacturing wage, as at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/StoxVsWage.html>).

Doug