Politics of Crime and Economic Change

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Mar 9 07:34:32 PST 1999

> Let's see if I get this: you declare that you know, using an
arbitrary equation, who "deserves to die". You also support the premeditated murder of a defenseless human being. Ergo, you naturally extend this privilege to others, who can also determine who "deserves to die", and who shall therefore be murdered in cold blood.>>

I think judges and juries are capable of deciding, if that's what you mean, though perhaps not as well as I could.

I don't get some of your adjectives here. For instance, "premeditated." Would you prefer 'spur of the moment' executions? Or how about "defenseless." Would it be better if the murder was obliged to go into the arena against Hulk Hogan or somebody?

> This is a descent into barbarism, as I claimed, as now we
simply murder those who "deserve to die", a flexible formula . . . >>

It need not be "flexible."

> that suits heretics, Indians, slaves, adulterers, disobedient
wives, drug dealers, thiefs, lazy workers, murderers, and whoever else shall not be deemed "deserving" of life.>

There you go again! Equating heinous crimes with minor ones, or with none at all. How barbaric.

> . . .
Premeditated murder of someone who is defenseless is cowardly. There is no other word for it. It is a lack of humanity and strength when other options are available, as they always are. >

Would it be better if I volunteered to dispatch Timothy McVeigh with my one-iron?

mbs