Gore invented Internet

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:48:26 PST 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>But Al Gore as the father of the Internet?
>Then came the kicker: "During my service in the United States Congress, I
>took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Actually, this is a pretty ignorant article. Gore didn't invent the Internet but he is one of the politicians who supported its funding earlier and more enthusiastically than almost any other politician. I don't particularly like how chummy he is with a lot of the tech companies but he legitimately can take as much credit as any politician for the Internet. A few other news articles quotes:

"In fact, Gore has been involved in the development of the Internet from its very beginning.

He is credited with coining the phrase "information superhighway" 17 years ago. And as a member of the House of Representatives Science Committee in the 1970s, Gore attended the first hearings on the prototype Internet."

- Computer Weekly, April 23, 1998

---Nathan Newman