Death Penalty: Report From Canada

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 17:17:25 PST 1999

In message <36E42D1E.4396DF37 at uniserve.com>, Sam Pawlett <epawlett at uniserve.com> writes
> The determinism argument is not new. I was thinking of Arthur Koestler and
>Clarence Darrow who both used it to argue against capital puishment. Darrow
>used it to argue against all forms of punishment.

Lenin by contrast, pleaded with the bolsheviks not to abolish the death penalty - but then Lenin was no determinist, but a firm believer in the importance of the subjective factor in history.

When I first got involved in politics, Manchester militant Dave Hallsworth told me that when we were in charge, we would have to string up quite a few people. -- Jim heartfield