Just In: Red Oskar's Out

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Fri Mar 12 07:37:54 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote

>But what I really loved was this editorial reaction in the NY Times:
>"[Lafontaine had] loudly demanded that the new European Central Bank
>lower interest rates. On the merits, he had a case [!], but the
>political realities were that the central bank dared not appear to be
>caving in to such pressure [!!]. With Mr. Lafontaine gone, a rate cut
>now may be more likely [!!!]."

Finally we got an explanation: he sacrificed all his jobs for the noble cause. BTW: News wires were reporting at noon even Schroeder doesnt know any reasons for the resignation. He even couldnt reach Lafontaine on the phone. Yahoo has a own section (in German) with the latest news:

http://www.yahoo.de/schlagzeilen/politik/lafontaine.html

Johannes