Just In: Red Oskar's Out

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Fri Mar 12 09:08:47 PST 1999

Johannes wrote:
>Second and most important, Lafontaines left pose was to some extent a
>reflections of union pressure on and inside the SPD. You have to keep in
>mind that the German unions are still intact and never suffered defeats
like
>in the UK during Thatchers time.

Many thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on the recent near-strike by the German superunion IG Metall? I remember reading something like the employers were offering a 2% raise, but were willing to go to 3%. IG Metall was asking for 6% and the European Central Bank was threatening that it wouldn't lower rates if the union was given too much. They settled on 4% and avoided the strike right? The rate is a benchmark for the rest of the European economy, correct? I also wonder how the UAW and IG Metall are getting along now that Chrysler has been bought by DaimlerBenz. I read recently that DaimlerChrsyler almost bought the hemorrhaging Nissan, but balked.

Peter