Just In: Red Oskar's Out

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Fri Mar 12 09:56:19 PST 1999

Peter Kilander wrote
>Johannes wrote:
>>Second and most important, Lafontaines left pose was to some extent a
>>reflections of union pressure on and inside the SPD. You have to keep in
>>mind that the German unions are still intact and never suffered defeats
>like
>>in the UK during Thatchers time.
>

>Many thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on the recent near-strike
>by the German superunion IG Metall? I remember reading something like the
>employers were offering a 2% raise, but were willing to go to 3%. IG Metall
>was asking for 6% and the European Central Bank was threatening that it
>wouldn't lower rates if the union was given too much. They settled on 4%
and
>avoided the strike right?
That was basically the course of events. It reflected the balance of power between unions and employers. But one has to keep in mind, that only those employers who are members of the employers association are bound to collective tariffs. Because of this some employers (especially in the east) left their association making collective bargaining their obsolete.
>The rate is a benchmark for the rest of the
>European economy, correct?
Certainly its a benchmark for the rest of the German economy. I am not sure about the rest of Europe. Though we have a single currency now living conditions between Germany and other countries still differ a lot. But certainly the Euro has the positive effect of bringing the class struggle in the different European countries closer together.
>I also wonder how the UAW and IG Metall are
>getting along now that Chrysler has been bought by DaimlerBenz.
Interesting question, Peter. Anyone from the US, who can give some more information? Legally Daimler-Chrysler is now a German corporation. This brought the UAW into the board of directors (Aufsichtsrat) at Daimler-Chrysler. Johannes