CLR James culture/economics, postmod insurgent intellectualism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Mar 12 21:01:36 PST 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Charles Brown wrote:

> Thus, cricket today is vastly different from what would appear to be the
> case from the posting based on James' book Beyond a Boundary.
> And if there is any class struggle in cricket, then I have not noticed it.

If you'd like to read a very well-written analysis of class and race in cricket that takes modern developments into account, take a look at Mike Marqusee's _Anyone But England: Cricket and the National Malaise_ (Verso, 1994). (And yes, that is the correct spelling of his last name.)

By the way, although CLR James' cricket-themed autobiography is quite good, his individual reporting on cricket is vastly better. He's up there with A.J. Liebling as one of the greatest sportswriters of all time. There's a collection of his journalistic pieces, all short, stretching from the 1930's to the 1980's, titled simply _Cricket_. It's out of print, but it was available over the internet very cheaply last I looked; several dealers had stacks of it. If you're a dilettante like me (not much cricket in New York), there is a stumbling block in the fact that it's not only full of cricket terms, it's full of obsolete cricket terms. But if you read it with Michael Rundell's _Dictionary of Cricket_ in the other hand (an enjoyable book in its own right), you can get through it about as fast as if you were learning French by reading Apollinaire. And it's just as rewarding.

Michael