Irony I. Was (1) Marx & Justice (2)lefter-than-thou-ness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 14 18:35:49 PST 1999

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Stumble through some more on
> irony. Those movements in and out of an apparently dissembling collage
> are fascinating.

Not a bad characterization. I'm woozy from the flu right now, but I intend to stumble some more. I want to complicate irony enough so that it can't be used as a slogan. Re the "dissembling": always present in irony, whether sophisticated or crude like mine. There is always a pretence on someone's part of knowing less than they really know. (Sometimes this pretence is regarded as actual humility, but it always has a core of arrogance.)

Carrol