Irony I. Was (1) Marx & Justice (2)lefter-than-thou-ness

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 14 18:59:00 PST 1999

carroll in response to chuckster:

>Not a bad characterization. I'm woozy from the flu right now, but
>I intend to stumble some more. I want to complicate irony enough
>so that it can't be used as a slogan. Re the "dissembling": always
>present in irony, whether sophisticated or crude like mine. There
>is always a pretence on someone's part of knowing less than
>they really know. (Sometimes this pretence is regarded as actual
>humility, but it always has a core of arrogance.)

carrol,

christopher lasch, in _The Minimal Self_ had an interesting discussion of ironic self-observation. i think you mind find it thought-provoking in any event. can't find the book or i'd transcribe the section for you. otherwise thanks for the great post as i told you off list. and i'm rilly rilly jealous about the OED.

someday, kelley "an asshole is more like a vacuum-at-the-centre, a black hole, where everything is sucked into a destructive vortex."