School vouchers

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Mar 16 07:58:41 PST 1999

> How about this strategy to end the voucher nonsense: accept it
in principle, but require all participating private schools to "compete" on "equal terms" with public schools. This means

> 1) No participating private school can charge more in tuition
than the voucher amount

> 2) All participating private schools must admit _any_ student
that wishes to attend. Any admission selectivity is strictly forbidden. Expulsion for diciplinary reasons is subject to the same rules as public schools.

> How many private schools would sign up?

Plenty. Voucher deals typically include the tuition ceiling and non-discrimination clauses. The latter is hard to enforce, so it is not much of a concession by the vendors.

The tuition ceiling is not necessarily onerous either. The average spending per pupil in a district -- a common metric for setting the voucher level -- obscures significant variation in spending by school. With the right selection of pupils, it is not be hard for a vendor to make money. Aside from their ability to skew their student body, the vendors have a key cost advantage -- they can start a new school with new teachers earning entry-level pay. The public schools are obliged to retain their current workforce, whose pay varies significantly. Labor costs are about 80% of school costs.

I discuss this in my thrilling book, "Risky Business: Private Management of Public Schools," co-authored with Craig Richards and Rima Shore. (It will change your life.)

mbs