School vouchers

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Mar 16 11:34:21 PST 1999

> That is the point. If you prevent vendors from selecting
students, I doubt any would be able to make money. As to implementation, it doesn't seem so hard to prevent socilaization of losses and privatization of gains, although this may be my blissful ignorance of all things governmental speaking. I am not talking about complex racial discrimination measures or anything like that, I am talking about kicking out of the program any school that poses any admission barrier in front of any student for any reason.>

The trouble is that schools could devise ways of filtering that are hard to monitor or prevent. One is simply location. Another is the type of curriculum. Another is non-monetary costs of application. Another is the type of hospitality a school management shows to parents. To some extent, a high-cost student can be eased out by subtle pressures.

All this aside, the increased ability to evade labor standards is a sufficient means of making money, even abstracting from the selection of pupils.

mbs