school choice

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 09:13:49 PST 1999

david dorkin wrote:

>Could someone explain to me just how,when and why Bowles and Gintis
>started writing this garbage?

People who know them better can answer the when, but I got into a flame war with Gintis a few years ago when he argued that advertising doesn't affect media content, and that the big media are just giving people what they want. The natural beauty of the market, you know. He also says his job as an economist should be more like a plumber's than an architecht's. Bowles seems not quite so nuts.

Their colleague Nancy Folbre gave a paper at the New School last year that modeled the patriarch as the residual claimant of family income, following the corporate governance model of the stockholder.

Doug