Law and Econ elements

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 18 13:34:45 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> The commentator was an economist from Cornell. He was very
> critical of
> my having used EPI as a reputable source. He said "It's
> controlled by >>
>
> And who might this cupcake be?

Richard Burkhauser

He got some flack for making some ridiculous comments about SSI. After reading one of his papers... he is very big on cutting down the SSI rolls and says that people on SSI develop pathologies that keep them out of the workforce. This did not go over too well with some disabled people on SSI who struggled for years to find a way to be able to work and those who still haven't been able to surmount ablist prejudice and economic discrimination to get a job. The guy has little to no contact with disabled people to know just how hellish being on SSI is, how employers don't want to hire anyone on SSI, much less provide them with reasonable accommodations, or how SSI work disincentives punish people who would like to have a job, yet has wedged himself into the issues probably by way of his position at Cornell.

When the "proof" comes in the mail, I'll get a copy of it to you.

Marta