cynicism, irony and enjoyment -- A Simple Example

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Sun Mar 21 08:36:43 PST 1999

Angela wrote:

> btw, I think people are right to say that irony isn't sarcasm.
> sarcasm is a cowardly form of humiliation, mostly. but, maybe
> another point: irony doesn't have to be funny in order to still be
> irony.

A simple enlightening example:

Bob Dylan's song "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" is heartfelt, but the title line is ironic. As with MOST irony, it isn't funny, but it sure would like to be in order to relieve the hurt.

If sung in a really bad mood, the line could easily be delivered sarcastically, Of course, this wouldn't make it a cowardly form of humiliation -- but it's precisely how irony often slips into sarcasm.

Parting thought: I just gotta wonder how long folks are going to continue making long-winded ideological arguments about irony and such which are so patently overblown and downright silly. Look before you leap, folks!

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"