Germany: Tax Reforms Pass

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Mar 22 01:04:52 PST 1999

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Peter Kilander wrote:

> (finally, "reform" is used in the correct sense. I'm sick of seeing welfare
> "reform", social security "reform" financial industry "reform" etc etc)

In German it's become standard to use "reform" to refer to the reduction of the welfare state. So you're forever reading headlines even in mainstream papers that literally translate as "Doctors protest health care reforms" or "Unions say reform would be a bad idea." I think they got it from reading American news from an outsider's perspective. It seems to be one of those words that became clearer in translation.

Michael