A 'Bad Writer' Bites Back by Judith Butler)

alexlocascio at juno.com alexlocascio at juno.com
Mon Mar 22 07:00:47 PST 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:12:25 -0500 Carl Remick <cremick at rlmnet.com> writes:

>The object of the literary/cultural critic is not to enable people to
>understand the periodic table or mathematical theorems; it is (or should
>be) to help people at large understand the rights and responsibilities
>that they have as social and political beings.

LITERARY CRITICISM SHOULD DO THIS??!!??

Shit, and I thought it was about interpreting and critiquing works of literature. Silly me.

> If you really believe in
>democracy, I maintain you have to be a populist.

A wise man once told me that hagiography is the flipside of demonization.

Likewise, a religious faith in "the people" is just as bad as feelings of contempt towards "the people." You're setting yourself up to be disappointed when the masses fail to live up to revolutionary standards.

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]