The Contempt felt by Left Intellectuals towards their peers

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Mar 22 15:51:00 PST 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Carl Remick wrote:

> The object of the literary/cultural critic is not to enable people to
> understand the periodic table or mathematical theorems; it is (or should
> be) to help people at large understand the rights and responsibilities
> that they have as social and political beings.

Do you teach literature for a living? If so, how do you manage to do the above? If not, why do you assume we litcritters have sole responsibility to save the soul of the global Left?

-- Dennis (adjunct in Comparative Literature)