Impossibility of 'Auto-Critique'

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 22 18:43:10 PST 1999

Angela wrote:
>sure, it is this. but in order for this to anchor itself as a
>generalised practice, it would also entail a certain introjection of
>the other as critical. there are numerous difficulties with this

Sacher-Masoch wrote: "Whether she is a princess or a peasant girl, whether she is clad in ermine or sheepskin, she is always the same woman: she wears furs, she wields a whip, she treats men as slaves and she is both my creation and the true Sarmatian Woman." That She is His creation is the key here.

>I think it might come down finally to how you define the self in the
>first place. if you define the self as enclosed and constitutionally
>monadic^, then sure, self-critique would also be doing little more
>than unpacking and repacking one's own baggage. hence, it might well
>be more accurate to say that auto-critique does not repel the wounding
>of the self by others but rather restages the wound that the self is
>predicated through.

'Auto-critique' as a staging of a wound is well stated. And the staging of a wound helps to construct the very illusion of monad-like existence, even though the staging may feel like a deconstruction of it.

Yoshie