Samori Marksman dead

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 14:01:17 PST 1999

Folks,

This is an unbelievable loss!!!

Though I never Samori, I considered him a teacher. I met Doug through Samori's "Behind the News." I anxiously awaited each Monday at 7 pm when Doug would have about a 10 minute stint with Samori. Correct me if I'm wrong Doug, but I believe these "interrogations" led to you getting a permanent spot on BAI. No?

Samori was one of the most eloquent speakers I have ever heard. Listening to his impromptu analysis were always inspiring. Finally, he was always at BAI - you could hear him at 3 am or 2 pm; I wondered whether he had a family and when he got to spend time with his kids. He was totally committed to WBAI - perhaps in a way that literally took his life. Samori was clearly a bulwark against the NPRization of Pacifica radio and I suspect that his diplomatic efforts to maintain BAIs independence also took its toll. I agree with Doug thatthe future of BAI is very, very uncertain. Frankly, I do not believe there is anyone there (maybe Eutrice?) that can fill his shoes.

Good bye Samori - the world is much less a place today.

Jason