Samori Marksman dead

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 23 16:31:49 PST 1999

JayHecht at aol.com wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong Doug,
>but I believe these "interrogations" led to you getting a permanent spot on
>BAI. No?

Yes.

This has kept feeling worse all day. Samori was the first person who ever had me on the radio. I was scared to death at first, but after about 2 minutes he'd made me feel comfortable, and after about 5 I was in love with the microphone. He'd have me as a guest on the show, then I did those 10-minute commentaries, and then he gave me my own show, a sublet of his 5-6 PM time slot actually.

He was inspiring to watch/hear on the air - he sounded so relaxed, fluent, unassuming, in control, even as he was furiously engineering his own show. Smart, interested in nearly everything, generous, elegant. No doubt his struggle to preserve the station's independence against the forces of institutionalized blandness shortened his life. And it wouldn't surprise me to see the Pacifica authorities move in and take control pretty quickly now.

Wonderful man, major loss.

Doug