Impossibility of 'Auto-Critique'

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Mar 23 20:43:16 PST 1999

>Angela wrote:
>>sure, it is this. but in order for this to anchor itself as a
>>generalised practice, it would also entail a certain introjection of
>>the other as critical. there are numerous difficulties with this
>

>Sacher-Masoch wrote:
>"Whether she is a princess or a peasant girl, whether she is clad in
ermine
>or sheepskin, she is always the same woman: she wears furs, she
wields a
>whip, she treats men as slaves and she is both my creation and the
true
>Sarmatian Woman." That She is His creation is the key here.

indeed. which is something of what I had in mind when I wrote 'there are problems with this' - but masochism entails a projection, as you note, not an introjection.

this might also give pause to think about to what extent assuming the stance of woman with whip is at all an emancipatory, or even transgressive, one.

especially in leftist circles, where the fantasy of sacrificing one's self entirely to the demands of the Other in the name of the Good (I.e.., masochism) finds refuge in all sorts of postures, these references to pain and discomfort are nothing more than a play to the masoch's fantasy perhaps.

angela