Impossibility of 'Auto-Critique'

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 24 16:30:55 PST 1999

Hi Angela:
>this might also give pause to think about to what extent assuming the
>stance of woman with whip is at all an emancipatory, or even
>transgressive, one.
>
>especially in leftist circles, where the fantasy of sacrificing one's
>self entirely to the demands of the Other in the name of the Good
>(I.e.., masochism) finds refuge in all sorts of postures, these
>references to pain and
>discomfort are nothing more than a play to the masoch's fantasy
>perhaps.

I agree that leftist circles may be overpopulated by men who are bossy bottoms, which is another reason to object to 'auto-critique.'

BTW, I don't think that S/M is 'emancipatory' or 'transgressive' at all. It does, however, serve to neatly theatricalize the invalid and yet persistent problematics of non-Marxist Western philosophy that revolve around the Individual/Civil Society (e.g. Subject/Object, Self/Other, and Freedom/Determination).

Coming back to philosophy per se (as opposed to S/M as a theatricalization of invalid problematics), I don't think that Sade and Sacher-Masoch can be put into a symmetrical opposition. They open different lines of inquiry: the former involves the questioning of moralism while the latter may lead to the investigation of social reproduction in terms of a dialectic of submission and authority. See Kaja Silverman's _Male Subjectivity at the Margins _, for instance, about the latter.

Yoshie