[Fwd: jhurd_dsa-doc: another view of Kosovo...]

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:42:50 PST 1999

At 02:15 PM 3/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>There is an old saying in Europe: Parents tell their children,
>"Never take candy from strangers, and never get involved with Balkan
>politics."
>
>Well, thanks to the Clinton Administration, we're in Balkan politics now,
>right up to our necks, and I, for one, have no idea where we're going nor
>why.

I think Clinton and Co. take their marching orders from the Pentagon, thanks in part to Monika Lewinsky. The Yugoslavia adventure seems like a safe demonstration project to accomplish two important policy goals: present US military hardware in action and persuade the gullible US public that at last "we" have an enemy, hence we need to boost the military spendings.

Alas, a sporadic air raids is one thing but sending ground troops is another. I think the Pentagon leaders learned a lesson from their Nazi colleagues how dangerous that can be.

Anothe thing, does anyone know how European countries responded to this adventure? I reckon that Herr Schroeder followed the best of Social Democratic tradition and lined up his support of the war effort, no?. That, BTW puts Mr. Lafontaine's resignation in a new light. Did he know what was coming and resigned his post not wanting to be a part of it? If so, he is a latter-day Rosa Luxemburg. I also recon that Blair is sucking up to the Presiential wishes even better than Monica did.

But how about others, France, Italy, Russia?

Wojtek