Protest against the Bombing

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Mar 26 00:57:30 PST 1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Max Sawicky wrote:

> We are used to seeing these conflicts in terms of class strugle, in a
> bipolar international context, if you'll pardon the foreign relations-speak.
> But today the U.S. is a lone hegemon.

Hegemon, my foot. The US is now 700-800 billion euros in debt to our dear friends in the EU. We're basically playing the role of hired thugs for Eurocapital (i.e. playing Bad Kop whilst the EU dons the colorful flowing robes of the Buddha). Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm sensing a new assertiveness from the Eurobourgeoisie in all this -- i.e. a growing impatience with their rogue semiperipheries, which is maybe the flip side of an increasing willingness to finance Visegrad's expansion and the Russian bailout.

-- Dennis