Stop the Bombing now!

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:52:00 PST 1999

Max, you seem to have drifted on to safe ground by answering the arguments of the ultra-extremists -- the ones who fall into your trap on the "Hitler" question. I think the real questions in Kosovo are: 1) Does the bombing save lives? You still have provided no evidence that the answer is yes. In fact you have admitted that you are skeptical on th question. My friend, there is neither a moral nor a practical basis for a bombing that will kill thousands of people and is likely to accomplish nothing in saving lives, or weakenign dictators. (But the bombing will help M. get a stronger hold on Serbia. People under bombardment always rally around their leader -- no matter how dispicable.) 2) There is also no evidence that this bombing is legal under international law. Opposing Hitler at Normandy and in fact the first time he cross out of the border of Germany would certainly have met the interntational law test.

If you want an alternative policy (like Paul, operating on the counterfactual assumption that the U.S. actually has good intentions) -- try direct bribery of the Serbian and Albanian peoples of both Serbia and Kosovo to agree to a peace settlement.

Erratum: In an earlier post, I said Margaret and Carrol were very close to mainstream opinion in the U.S. on the Kosovo issue, and thus were worth engaging. I meant of course Margaret and Max. I would never deliberately accuse Carrol of such a thing .

P.S. -- to Max on the Hitler test; in my old High School, I was on the debate team. There was a rule that as long as the issue under debate involved stuff that happened after WWII, and was not directly related to German war crimes, the first person to bring up Hitler automatically lost the debate.