language

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Mar 26 15:34:43 PST 1999

> Sam writes:
> >confusing ontological questions (what exists) with epistemological ones
> (how we
> >can know what exists). The objectivity of truth and the attempts to know
> it are
> >different claims.
> of course this is a claim you make. how we think we know is conceptually
> related to what we think exists. epistemology and ontology are
> inextricably intertwined. yes, it's a claim and i will defend it.
> kelley

Susan Bordo, Jane Flax, and Nancy Hirschman are among those who explore dimensions of political theory rooted in social-structural forms of relationship and reveal ontological dimensions of the theories' epistemologies...

according to Hirschman, dichotomy between epistemology and ontology, which characterizes both rationalist and empiricist epistemologies, is masculinist in following or echoing mind-body duality...H argues that epistemology arises from ontology, ways of knowing from ways of being so masculine ontology gives rise to way of looking at world conceptualizing power as domination... Michael Hoover