"Humanitarian Bombing"

Annalee Newitz tabloid at jps.net
Sun Mar 28 14:37:12 PST 1999

No Kipling didn't emerge until late in the nineteenth century, around the time a few other colonial fantasy narratives were being written, like _Dracula_ (also an Eastern European menace narrative, interestingly). By 1898 (when Drac was published), imperialism had become bound up with ideological spectacle that Queen V. was throwing these mega-parties (I think in 98 it was the Diamond Jubilee) to celebrate the Empire. As for early British Imperialism, well, that's outside my historical/cultural expertise. But I can say that some scholars have cited "The Tempest" as one of England's earliest imperial fantasies.

Annalee

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Rkmickey at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Try Kipling:
>
> Yeah I know about Kipling, but I wonder how representative that was, and
> where it stood in the history of British colonial narratives. Surely that
> sort of stuff didn't emerge at the first imperial moment, did it?
>
> Doug

-- annalee newitz tabloid at jps.net http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~annaleen vox 415.668.0365

freelance writer and lecturer full coverage of . . . technology - pop culture - sexuality - academia