Separatism and Secession

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 28 16:06:48 PST 1999

Brad De Long wrote:

>But this is not a rational foreign policy: it assumes that there is an
>entity called "Serbia" which is identical with and bears responsibility for
>the actions of Milosevic--and it assumes that punishment inflicted upon
>"Serbia" is punishment inflicted upon Milosevic...

But this is all perfectly consistent with U.S. bombing strategy, from Dresden through Hiroshima through Iraq, to terrorize civilian populations in order to undermine popular support for and destroy the human infrastructure of regimes the U.S. is at war with.

I love the propaganda parallel with the Gulf War - a demonized "Milosevic" just like the demonized "Saddam" - we're at war with the evil "Him," and not the people we're actually bombing. At some level Clinton & Co. probably believe this.

Doug