Separatism and Secession

Mon Mar 29 05:53:20 PST 1999

>But this is all perfectly consistent with U.S. bombing strategy, from
>Dresden through Hiroshima through Iraq, to terrorize civilian populations
>in order to undermine popular support for and destroy the human
>infrastructure of regimes the U.S. is at war with.... At some level
>Clinton & Co. probably believe this.
>
>Doug

Oh, I am sure that they believe it.

This is the way the United States fights wars--an enormous attempt to economize on its own soldiers' lives at the expense of noncombatants on the other side, a rapid slide from "we're at war with the dictator <name>" to "we're at war with a country <name>" and perhaps to "well it's those civilians' fault that we're bombing them: they should have found better political leaders."

As Woodrow Wilson said under somewhat similar circumstances, "we need to teach those Mexicans [Serbians] to elect good men"...

Brad DeLong