Why doesn't the Left have a real vision?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 29 07:02:35 PST 1999

Jonathan Sterne wrote:

>They have more guns than we do. Especially in the US, which is the
>history I'm most familiar with, the government has this neat little trick
>of killing off the opposition. It's amazing what few strategic murders and
>intimidation will do.

Or more than a few. In New Left Review #232, Dan Lazare (citing Michael Mann's Sources of Social Power, p. 635) writes: "Between 1872 and 1914, according to one count, seven workers were killed in labour disputes in Britain, 16 were killed in Germany, and 35 were killed in France. Yet at least 500 to 800 were killed in the United States. The only country to exceed this record of violence was Czarist Russia, which saw some 2,000 to 5,000 labour deaths during the same period."

Anyone have a count on how many Black Panthers were killed?

Doug