Kosovo: Internet Information Resources

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Mon Mar 29 17:36:49 PST 1999

Following in a list of resources on Kosovo from the Red Rock Eaters list, a general Internet information list whose moderator is a very progressive guy. Interesting note at the beginning as well. -- Nathan Newman

-----Original Message----- From: Phil Agre <pagre at alpha.oac.ucla.edu> To: Red Rock Eater News Service <rre at lists.gseis.ucla.edu> Date: Monday, March 29, 1999 5:04 PM Subject: [RRE]intensifying genocide in Kosovo

[I have enclosed another batch of resources and messages on Kosovo. Even though I regard the Serbian authorities as vile murderers, I am circulating pro- as well as anti-Serbian materials on my list. One person observed that my last batch of resources referred mostly to the bombs falling in Serbia, and not to the violence in Kosovo; this is largely because the reporters and human rights people in Kosovo who would otherwise be producing first-hand reports on the Internet have been killed by the Serbs. We're in a situation now where Clinton, Yeltsin, and Milosevic must all pretend that they have power that they do not have, and have all committed themselves to policies that can only bring destruction. On the other hand, I cannot accept the very common argument that the Nato bombing campaign has caused or provoked the violence in Kosovo. The thugs in Belgrade have already proven themselves capable of mass genocide in Bosnia without being bombed, and in that case the violence was only halted when the United States did start bombing, as well as arming the Serbs' opponents. Furthermore the Serbs were clearly mobilizing for a fresh genocide in Kosovo during the negotiations in France. Those in the US government and elsewhere who claim to be surprised by the magnitude of the savagery in Kosovo are idiots. The bombing campaign is not working very well, and at the current rate the genocide will be completed within days. (This calculation is easily performed: divide the former population of Kosovo by the daily rate at which refugees -- women and children only, no men -- are now arriving in Albania and Macedonia.) The Milosevic regime was already guilty of massive crimes against humanity, and now it is guilty of more. It survives by encouraging the psychotic idea that the Serbs are actually civilized people doing the thankless work of defending civilization against the Ottoman Turks. There *do* exist civilized people in Serbia, namely the astonishingly courageous reporters who are trying to tell the Serbian people the truth about the genocide. The BBC is taking the Internet feed of their radio programs and broadcasting it back into the country. So the Internet is playing a very positive role. But I have to ask: what are the civilized people in the rest of the world doing with the Internet? We're passing URL's around, but are any of us organizing any useful action? The EFF's support for anonymous use of the Internet in Yugoslavia is a positive action, but surely we can do more. I've been talking with some people who are trying to organize various things, and I hope to have something useful to report soon. Until then, let's not get too proud of ourselves. In addition to the iconmedia list, here is another batch of URL's:

http://anem.opennet.org/

http://www.kosovapress.com/

http://www.osce.org/e/kosovo.htm

http://www.albanian.com/IJAS/

http://www.beta-press.com/

http://www.sn-ol.com/

http://www.egroups.com/list/kosovo/

http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/archives/albanews.html

http://moumee.calstatela.edu/sii/

http://www.suc.org/

http://www.beograd.com/radioyu/

Please do send more if you find them. Last point: we understand from our friends in Yugoslavia that students at Belgrade University and throughout Serbia, 30,000 to 40,000 in total, have had their Internet access cut off. The official explanation, believe it or not, is that this will prevent Yugoslav students from hacking machines in Nato countries, thereby provoking disconnection of the country's Academic Network. It says something about the importance of the Internet that it has not served the purposes of the Yugoslav authorities to shut it down altogether.]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE). Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below. You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use the "redirect" command. For information on RRE, including instructions for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html or send a message to requests at lists.gseis.ucla.edu with Subject: info rre =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 12:35:53 -0500 (EST) From: Stefan J Wray <sjw210 at is8.nyu.edu> To: nettime-l at Desk.nl Subject: <nettime> Updated: USA/NATO/Yugoslav/Kosovo war websites

USA/NATO/YUGOSLAVIA/KOSOVO WAR WEBSITES Version 2.0 Updated on March 28, 1998 Send new links to iconmedia at iconmedia.org

MAINSTREAM MEDIA

CNN: Strike on Yugoslavia http://cnn.com/WORLD/europe/9903/27/nato.attack.03/index.html

MSNBC: Special on Kosovo http://www.msnbc.com/news/KOSOVO_Front.asp

ABC: Coverage of Kosovo http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/world/Kosovo/new_kosovo_index.html

Washington Post: Balkans Special Report http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/balkans/balkans.htm

Reuters http://www.reuters.com/news/

France Press http://www.afp.com/

BBC: Kosovo Crisis, Balkan Flashpoint http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special_report/1998/kosovo/

INDEPENDENT MEDIA

Anti-NATO web site http://www.welcome.to/nato

Common Dreams News Center http://www.commondreams.org/kosovo/kosovo.htm

eGroups: Kosovo Reports http://www.egroups.com/list/kosovo-reports/

Mother Jones http://www.motherjones.com/mustreads/032299.html#TC

Kosovo Dies For Independence, Out There News http://www.megastories.com/kosovo/index.htm

Press Now http://www.dds.nl/~pressnow/

Radio B92 http://helpB92.xs4all.nl http://www.b92.net/

Radio 21 http://www.radio21.net/english/headlines.htm

Z Magazine on U.S./NATO Bombings http://www.zmag.org/ZMag/kosovo.htm

BACKGROUND ARTICLES

Bombing Serbia is Dangerously Counterproductive, by Jonathan Power http://www.transnational.org/forum/power/1999/03bombing.html

Email Assist for Yugoslavia, by Leander Kahney http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18765.html

Frontline Documentary on Slobodan Milosevic http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/karadzic/trial/scharf.html

Kosovo's Slippery Slope by George Kenney, In These Times http://www.inthesetimes.com/kenney2309.html

Net Dispatches from Kosovo's War, by Leander Kahney and James Glave http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18755.html

Notes on the Kosovo Problem and the International Community by Diane Johnstone, Dialogue http://www..bglink.com/business/dialogue/diana.html

Prospects for Peace in Kosovo by Howard Clark http://www.nonviolence.org//wrl/nva0199-2.htm

Yugoslav Net at the Brink, by Leander Kahney http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18767.html

INFORMATION/ACTION CENTERS

Amnesty International: The Road to Kosovo http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/intcam/kosovo/index.html

Balkan Action Council http://www.balkanaction.org/links.html

Balkan Internet Resources http://www.balkaninstitute.org/internet.html

Balkan's Page http://www.igc.org/balkans/raccoon/kosovo.html

Central Europe Online http://www.centraleurope.com/ceo/special/kosovow/intro.html

Human Rights Watch: Kosovo Focus on Human Rights http://www.hrw.org/hrw/campaigns/kosovo98/index.htm

Institute for War and Peace Reporting http://www.iwpr.net/

International Action Center http://www.iacenter.org/

NO TO NATO http://www.iacenter.org/bosnia/balkans.htm

Kosovo Crisis Center http://www.alb-net.com/index.htm

Kosovo Info http://www.kosovainfo.com/ENGLISH.htm

Kosovo Privacy Project: Service of Anonymizer.com http://info.anonymizer.com/kosovo.shtml

One World: Special News Reports http://www.oneworld.org/news/reports/special/kosovo.html

Transnational Center for Peace http://www.transnational.org/new/index.html

USA-NATO MILITARY AND MILITARY ANALYSIS

Center for Defense Information: Kosovo Site http://www.cdi.org

Cloud Cover Over Kosovo: Satellite Images http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/kosovo_clouds.htm

Federation of American Scientist's Military Analysis Network http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/kosovo.htm

Jane's Defense Weekly http://defence.janes.com/

NATO http://www.nato.int

Pentagon's Operation Allied Force http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/kosovo/

UK Ministry of Defense: Kosovo

US Air Force News: Crisis in Kosovo http://www.af.mil/current/kosovo/

US Information Agency: Kosovo http://www.usia.gov/regional/eur/balkans/kosovo/

US State Department: Special Section on Kosovo http://www.state.gov/www/regions/eur/kosovo_hp.html

YUGOSLAVIA GOVERNMENT

Yugoslavia Foreign Ministry http://www.smip.sv.gov.yu/

Yugoslavia Ministry of Information http://www.serbia-info.com/

Yugoslavia Official Web Site http://www.gov.yu/

--- # distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission # <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism, # collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets # more info: majordomo at desk.nl and "info nettime-l" in the msg body # URL: http://www.desk.nl/~nettime/ contact: nettime-owner at desk.nl

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:11:27 +0100 From: Karl Waldron <lakota at clara.co.uk>

B92 Open Yugoslavia, Belgrade Daily News Service

Open Yugoslavia, News by 12.00, March 29, 1999

Issue ID: 0329991e.asc

5 E-mail: mailto:b92eng at opennet.org

WWW: http://www.b92.net/news/, http://b92eng.opennet.org/

Books: mailto:new-books-request at mail.opennet.org

10 All texts are Copyright 1999 Radio B92. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

C O N T E N T S

DAILY NEWS

15 New alert on city . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22

Last night's raids . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26

Yeltsin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48

Reply to Clinton soon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

20 DAILY NEWS

NEW ALERT ON CITY

BELGRADE, Monday -- The sirens sounded in Belgrade and other

Yugoslav cities at 10.20 this morning. No strikes have yet been

25 reported

LAST NIGHT'S RAIDS

BELGRADE, Monday -- The all-clear sounded this morning at 7.02.

The city had been on alert continually since 10.00 pm yesterday.

NATO missiles last night were mostly directed at Kosovo in this

30 wave of attacks. The most intensive action was focused on

Pristina. Three missiles hit the police headquarters in the

central city. Civilian buildings in the neighbourhood were

damaged, as was a dental clinic near the police station. State

media report at least three injuries in the attack.

35 All windows in the Grand Hotel in the city centre were broken by

the explosion.

State media reported that about twenty missiles hit the area of

Gnjilane in last night's attacks. There is also a report of a

strike on an army barracks in Djakovica. No casualties have been

40 reported.

Strikes were also reported last night from Sombor and Kraljevo.

State media: NATO aircraft downed

BELGRADE, Sunday -- The Yugoslav army's anti-aircraft system shot

down a NATO aircraft near Loznica last night, state television

45 reports this morning. The same source claimed that an SFOR

helicopter was searching the area along the left bank of the Drina

river seeking the pilot.

YELTSIN

MOSCOW, Monday -- Russian president Boris Yeltsin will soon

50 announce measures to be undertaken by Russia in order to stop NATO

air strikes on Yugoslavia. Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov told media

after a meeting with Prime Minister Evgeny Primakov that the

bombing must be stopped. Sources said that Yeltsin could make the

announcement in his long-postponed address to the nation tomorrow.

55 REPLY TO CLINTON SOON

ATHENS, Sunday -- The Greek government is expected to reply soon

to a letter from US President Bill Clinton calling for NATO

solidarity in bombing Yugoslavia. Clinton wrote on the eve of the

NATO air strikes to the heads of state of all NATO member

60 countries seeking support for NATO's operation. Diplomatic sources

in Athens say that Greece is still reluctant to join the

aggression against Yugoslavia, but are avoiding explicitly vetoing

the continuation of the campaign. Government sources say, however,

that there is still a possibility that Greece would veto the third

65 phase of the operation.

Translated by: Goran Dimitrijevic

Edited by: Steve Agnew

B92 Open Yugoslavia, Belgrade Daily News Service

70 E-mail: mailto:b92eng at b92.opennet.org

WWW: http://www.b92.net/news/, http://b92eng.opennet.org/

Books: mailto:new-books-request at mail.opennet.org

------------------------------------------------------------------ -- For more information about this e-mail list, send a message with its body containing command "info odrazb92e" to MAJORDOMO at BRAZIL.TCIMET.NET or visit http://brazil.tcimet.net/cgi-bin/lwgate/ODRAZB92E/

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:07:09 +0200 From: Dusan Djordjevich <dusandj at EUnet.yu> Subject: NATO bombing

Thank you so much to all who responded to my letter (posted, inter alia, on the RRE list). Your well-wishes and concern are greatly appreciated and VERY important to everyone here. I will try to post more information on my personal impressions and observations from Belgrade in the days to come. For now, here are two pieces that may be of interest. The first is an op-ed from an American scholar whose specialty is the former Yugoslavia. The second is a report/appeal from the ground in Kosovo, from a highly respected figure in the region, a leader of the anti-regime, pro-democratic camp of the Serbian Orthdodox Church.

*******************************

Dusan Djordjevich

PhD Candidate

Department of History

Stanford University

dusandj at eunet.yu *******************************

[I cannot forward the text of this article because it is copyrighted by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It is, however, available on the Web at <http://www.post-gazette.com/forum/19990328edhayden8.asp>. -- PA]

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:47:54 +0100 From: "Fr. Sava" <dejank at telekom.yu> Organization: Decani Monastery Subject: APPEAL AGAINST NATO ATTACKS (SHARE IT WILL ALL YOU KNOW)

Friday, March 26, 1999

The following was received from Fr. Sava from the Decani monastery in Kosovo, who has been part of the anti-Milosevic peace mission headed by Bishop Artemije, that has repeatedly come to Washington in an effort to defuse the crisis in Kosovo in a manner that protects the rights of both Albanians and Serbs:

APPEAL FROM DECANI AGAINST NATO AGGRESSION ON YUGOSLAVIA

I am writing this appeal while the NATO bombers and cruise missiles are spreading death and destruction all around my country. It is my moral obligation to say that the statements by the NATO officials that only military targets are attacked in Yugoslavia are not true and they are intended to deceive many peace loving people in the West that their air force is in a "humanitarian" action.

>From our credible sources we learned that several dozens of civilian
facilities (infrastructure, education, telecommunication, environment and traffic facilities) were attacked and destroyed by NATO air force. Besides there are more and more civilians who are killed or crippled by NATO bombs, including refugees from Bosnia and Croatia. Their refugee camp was hit near Kursumlija and 10 women and children were killed or wounded at the spot. Several schools have been destroyed and many of them damaged so that children cannot go to schools any more because there is a danger that they might be killed in them.

The areas with important cultural and religious monuments are also targeted. Day before yesterday Gracanica monastery area was attacked. Thank God there is only a slight damage on the monastery roof but on the other hand several family homes were burned to ashes.

Last night a cruise missile hit the old town in Djakovica, mostly inhabited by Albanians, and made a great fire in which several Albanian houses were destroyed and several civilians seriously wounded.

In short, NATO attacks are nothing but barbarous aggression which affects mostly the innocent civilian population, both Serb and Albanian. Their continuation will not only break the will of the people of Yugoslavia to live in freedom but will strengthen their determination to resist to tomahawk - democracy which is trying to bring "peace" by crimes against humanity.

Such actions are a shame for Western democracies and the whole world. Serbian Orthodox Church remains fully faithful to the principle that good can never be achieved by evil and that the Kosovo crisis must be resolved by peaceful and diplomatic means so that all peoples living here will be granted full protection of their human rights and freedom. NATO attacks will only make the things worse. They will definitely destroy the prospects of peaceful coexistence and will further radicalize extremists on both sides. And finally, the greatest victims of this criminal policy will be innocent civilians.

We have the full moral right to protest against these crimes because our Church has strongly condemned acts against civilians committed both by Serb and Albanian extremists in this conflict and has made great efforts to achieve a peaceful settlement of the crisis. As much as we have committed criminal acts against innocent civilians and their property in the course of the last year, by extremists on both sides, we are equally condemning these NATO attacks which do not differ at all from what we have seen in Kosovo so far. In fact there is a danger that NATO bombing produces far greater humanitarian crisis than the one we already have. These inconsiderate actions will destabilize Balkans and possibly create a European Vietnam which will obstruct the political and economical processes in Europe for years ahead.

Unfortunately, many people in the West still live in illusion that their super-powerful and precise air force is fighting against the FRY military. The truth is that there are more and more civilian victims and damages on exclusively non-military facilities. Therefore the Western governments bear great responsibility for these criminal acts in front of God and history.

The ironic statements that the goal of this operation is to prevent suffering of civilians are absolutely hypocritical and tragic. President Clinton speaks sweet words to the Serbian people while his bombers mercilessly destroy schools, kinder-gardens and fill the hearts of children with hatred against the peoples which they believed were their friends and supporters of true peace and democracy.

It is not true that our country is against the peaceful solution of the Kosovo conflict. The paper proposed by the Yugoslav delegation in Paris granted full autonomy to Kosovo Albanians and all other national communities.

Serb proposal: http://www.balkanaction.org/paper/skia399.pdf

The delegation also said that they were ready to accept certain kind of international supervision. What our delegation did not accept and what no one in this country can accept is secession of Kosovo and Metohija from Serbia and Yugoslavia and occupation by NATO forces. There is not a single country in the world which would accept such terms. Therefore the claim by Mr. Clinton and others that our country is against negotiations and peace are not true. The truth is that we cannot accept disintegration of our country, not even under the threats of NATO missiles and bombers. I am always ready to ask for my fellow Albanian neighbors the same rights which Serbs and all others in this country have, but neither me nor anyone in our Church can accept that Kosovo is given into the hands of Albanian extremists who have already cleansed 50% of Kosovo from Serbs and other non-Albanian ethnic groups, who kill our children in cafes and our farmers working in fields. Unfortunately, openly supporting the Albanian separatists NATO is not supporting suffering civilians on all sides, as it so proudly said, but exclusively those forces both among Albanians and Serbs who want more war and blood.

It is true that Kosovo has many refugees and many times we have urged responsible on both sides to stop their violence and let the people go back to their homes. But the West forgets that in Serbia there are 600.000 refugees who are now directly endangered by NATO bombs.

In the name of God and my fellow Albanian and Serb neighbors I make a strong appeal on all people of good will to stop these barbarous attacks immediately. The peace is not built by deaths of innocent children and pride of the mighty ones.

Fr. Sava

(Please share this appeal with your friends and all you know)

-- Decani Monastery tel +381 390 61543 38322 Decani, Serbia fax +381 390 61567 http://www.decani.yunet.com e-mail: decani at EUnet.yu

FOR ALL WRITING TO US PLEASE WRITE ON OUR ADDRESS: decani at EUnet.yu