Noam Chomksy on Kosovo (FWD)

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Tue Mar 30 09:35:16 PST 1999

Doug wrote about Saddam:

> but it's clear the U.S. didn't want to depose him,
> only shorten his leash a bit.

[Seth Ackerman]

Actually, they really do very much want to get rid of Saddam, but they want to replace him with some clone from the military, or perhaps a junta.

The U.S. had several opportunities since the Gulf War to aid in fomenting a popular revolt, but slouched away, horrified at the prospect of a popular government. According to the Cockburns' new book, at one point in 1991, U.S. officials met with British counterparts and discussed the possibility, but the British reminded the Americans that once the shooting was over, they would have to hold an election. That queered the whole deal.

Shortly thereafter a Kurdish leader met with Richard Haas, then NSC member, now head of Brookings' foreign policy outfit. The Kurd told Haas: "If you help us, we can get rid of Saddam's regime."

Haas replied: "We don't want to get rid of Saddam's regime. We just want to get rid of Saddam."