Moral Blindness (not the Bishops War)

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Tue Mar 30 18:03:15 PST 1999

Chris Burford's moral certainty (which seems to rely on his conscience for authority) and Nathan Newman's (which relies on the authority of "human rights organizations") are not conclusive of the question of what here is moral and what is not. Take, for instance, the following recent Canadian news report - which - if morality and what is morally clear and who is morally blind and so on is the issue (and here I claim no expertise or authority whatsoever, as to either our morals or theirs) - at least establishes that any argument is false that is based on the claim that the morality here is perfectly clear to all honest folk.

Mar 30, 19:10 est

Anglican Church opposes Canada's role in

bombing Serbs

OTTAWA (CP) - The head of Canada's Anglican Church says it's

not morally justifiable for Canada to participate in bombing

Serb forces in Kosovo.

Archbishop Michael Peers said Tuesday the NATO military

action is motivated by humanitarian ideals but ``fails to meet

the tests provided in the Christian tradition, and widely

accepted within our culture, for a morally justifiable military

engagement.''

He is just one of many religious leaders from Canada and

around the world who have spoken out against the bombing.

Pope John Paul II and his Eastern Orthodox counterpart,

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, and the U.S. National

Council of Churches have all called for an end to the bombing

and a resumption of negotiations.

U.S. Catholic bishops have also expressed serious reservations

and urged American soldiers to examine their consciences on

whether they should participate in the military action.

[have I missed this for lack of attention?; does everyone else know this?; what would Frannie Spellman say?- John Mage]

Peers said in a statement that the ethnic cleansing of

Albanians in Kosovo is horrific, but it's not clear that the

NATO bombing campaign is the best way to end that conflict.

He also questioned whether the use of force has been initiated

by legitimate authority since NATO bypassed the role of the

United Nations' Security Council.

Chris, Nathan, in the bowels of Christ (and Rosa Luxemburg), consider that you might be mistaken...

John Mage