Question for Max

Jennifer A Young CLEANBYRD at prodigy.net
Sat May 1 10:52:50 PDT 1999

-----Original Message----- From: rayrena <rayrena at accesshub.net> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, April 30, 1999 5:08 PM Subject: Re: Question for Max

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> [When did the U.S. ever stop to worry about international law?]
>
>On the rare occasion that it can be invoked to its benefit.
>
>Eric

Dear Folks,

As an assignment in my International Relations class we were to analyze a journal article pertaining to International Relations. I found an interesting one that illustrates how the United States has used ambiguous language in United Nations Security Council Resolutions many times to justify the use of force-"Bypassing the Security Council: Ambiguous Authorizations to Use Force, Cease-Fires and The Iraqi Inspection Regime " by Jules and Michael Ratner. It is found in the "Journal of International Law" vol.93: 124, 1999.

I'll include my rather constrained assignment for perusal if one can read attachments. My analysis does not do the JIL article justice however, because the article offers many more examples of how the US has manipulated International Law.

Jennifer Young -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: UN-SecurityCouncil-JAA.wpd Type: application/octet-stream Size: 10922 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19990501/98fe47e4/attachment.obj>