COVERING UP RACISM

Mon May 3 07:22:38 PDT 1999

Brad,

I think you must have joined the list after the larger discussion that preceded this post. Emma is being sarcastically critical of the statements I made (and perhaps Maggie Coleman and others) regarding the media coverup of the racism in the Littleton massacre. If you want some of the posts I'll send them to you, but now I'll try to give you a succinct summary:

1. I initially criticized the early coverage in the national and local media which had statements like "they hurled insults at Jews, blacks and Hispanics, but they REALLY hated the athletes". So, you should be able to see by this example alone, that attribution of racism to Harris and Klebold, is not at all wild speculation. Anybody known for hurling insults at Jews, blacks and Hispanics is racist.

2. My problem with this is not that alienation from the high status groups in school such as athletes didn't cause their anger, BUT that hate of athletes is not as important a social problem in U.S. society as racism, and thus to do downplay the racism is typical big biz media coverup of racism. There were also many reports that one or both were Hitlerphiles with a Nazi fetish. The murder occurred on Hitler's birthday and there were reports that they were yelling "4/20" while doing the killing.

So the accusation of them being racists is based on what has been reported at length in the media.

Part of the criticism I am making of Emma and everyone else who doesn't see any racism in a Nazi fetish and racist name calling ( you maybe too from what you say below) is that the invisibility of racism to many whites today is one of the signal characteristics of racism 1999.

In other words, when you say "overreacting" , many black and brown people find most white people "undereacting" to widespread racism in America today, such that probably the widest form of racism today is the denial , coverup or underreaction to racism.

3. As to the comparison with your experience as high school counterculturalist of the 60's/70's victimized by jocks, it is exactly the fact that you and others DIDN'T resort to mass murder that is all of the difference in the world between alienated and jock-oppressed high schoolers who have a Nazi fetish and those who don't. In other words, the hypothesis is that it is their fascist racist ideas that specifically caused the MASS MURDER aspect of their alienated response. Obviously this is because the Nazis are known for mass murder.

What distinguished these alienated high schoolers from the 10's of millions of others similarly alienated is that they committed mass murder. It is not at all a leap to hypthesize that their Nazism, however much a revised version, caused the specific mass murder aspect to their "protest."

There are a few other aspects to this argument if you care to hear them.

Charles Brown

EmaChissit at cs.com wrote:

> MEMBER OF TC COVERS UP RACISM WITH BIZARRE TALE. INCREDIBLE DISPLAY OF
> VIRULENT RACIST SENTIMENTS!

Sorry Doug but I can't let this pass. This tale is not so bizaare. Switch the trench coats and goth with long hair and bell bottom pants and you have the story of my years in high school and junior high. I was a part of a similar clique that suffered abuse because of how we looked. We also suffered harrassment for openly opposing the war in Vietnam and for supporting the civil rights movement. Some of the jocks were the leaders in dishing out the abuse. I had friends who were ruffed up by football players because they looked like hippies and were walking past the football field while the football team was practicing. The coach gave them permission and laughed as his players threw my friends to the ground kept pushing them over as they tried to get up. I was punched in the face by jock for verbally defending a friend who was getting verbally abused by him and his friends. So I don't find the story below to be that incredible. The members of the TM may have somehow been racists to some degree but you seem to be over reacting to a story that sounds very credible. You offer no evidence to back up your claim that this is "virulent racism." Why don't we try to stick to what we can verify as the truth instead of jumping to wild speculation just to make an argument. Besides, what if this is an accurate story? If it is then we have a group of kids who have been continuelly abused by some of their peers. When some kids on the fringe who are not really a part of the group go on killing spree, they are demonized by the press. And now we have someone attacking them with these posts accusing them of being racists when it's impossible for her to really know what she is talking about. These kids, being the most vulnerable students, are picked on at school, and them the media. To top it off we then have politically minded people like Emma using them as a dart board. Let's not jump on the media bandwagon of finding the first available scapegoat to blame.

Brad Hatch