zaginflatch

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Mon May 3 06:52:02 PDT 1999

ZAP / ARK GAJEVA 55 10 000 ZAGREB CROATIA zap_zg at geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/3707/ *************************************** How you can help: - forward this message to people who might be interested - we need translators. especially if you speak soutslavic language(s). - if you can, print this out and send to people who don't have access to email - if you can, help us send Zaginflatch to people who usually receive paper version. We presently can't afford to mail them out via snail mail, and we have an international mailing list of people who regularly received this newsletter since it was founded. Write to us and ask if we have a contact in your country. It'd be great if you could send this newsletter for us...

***************************************

From: Viktor Todoroviæ

Here I am! Some criminal, cloned fascist with a deranged mind has sent me a "little" mail bomb, which has costed me 6 days of banishment from the e-mail community, learning the basics of Unix at an old age (for the technical service at EUnet is charging their services! It's criminal, for they are convincingly the most expensive provider in the world), lots of nerves and so on. I hope it is not one of the people I bombarded the first days of the war, and who now wants revenge, especially I hope it is not someone from this list ;). All in all, since the interruption till now so much has hapened as if nothing hapened at all. Now the statement of one nazi offcial from Budapest in '44 became clear to me: while the jew masacre was going on, just before the soviet troups have come to Budapest. It's as follows:"If you kill one - it's a crime. If you kill 5 million - that's statistics" NATO has acomplishe well that the "mistake"in Aleksinac becomes a statistics - and, it seems they've succeeded. One is shaken by the first sight of a charred or beheaded corps, and later on it somehow becomes benumbed - one is indifferent. The Albanians? I am afraid even to think about it. Not even CNN speaks a lot about them anymore. All in all - it's a tragedy. And in the end, when one makes the final account and asks "For what?", somehow it seems to me that the who should will not be answering this question. Fuck it! Only at times k+like this one realises the the value of a good drink. Luckily we are a country of good beer, solid wine and an extraordinary rakija. To all those who are in the rest parts of Yugoslavia at the moment, one advice: You have to go to caffe's! Pick up sme good company and go! It is better than all psychiatrists, shelters, diaries and the Internet. There is no better feeling than pissing at some tree and look at the stars. And to those who have (un)luckily found themselves in one of the ex-Yu states, they should continue to send information about concerts nad similar hapenings. It is nice to see that things are going with a more or less natural flow. Hopefully it will dawn here as well at one point (inspite of the tree and the stars).

Viktor Todoroviæ

***************************************

Well, good morning, people! It's 06:13 am here in Belgrade and few minutes earlier sirens announced the end of tonight's air-raid. I don't know how will charming anchors on CNN and BBC present what happened here, but here's what I experianced... I was sleeping until around 02:20 am, when ROARING sound of airplane flying over woke me up! It was just like in the film: ssssshhhhhiiiiiooooossssshhhhh... [small silence] BOOOOOOOOOM! That moment I jumped from my bed and felt that whole building was shaking (like it's at least 5 Richter scale earthquake). After that explosion I could see only a dense cloud of white smoke growing some 3 kms from my house. I found out later that I was wrong - it was only about 1 km far from my building and guess what was hit? One whole civilian block of houses on a crossing between Maksima Gorkog and Maruliceva street was TOTALLY DEVASTATED! I live in this part of Belgrade more than 12 years and trust me: THERE ARE NO MILITARY OBJECTS IN A CIRCLE OF AT LEAST 4 kms FROM THAT PLACE! There are no reports on casualties yet, but it's hard to believe that there were no people at the time of strike in the buildings. Couple minutes later I heard another plane flying over. Again that shwoosh-boom sound and again and again. This time the Army HQ in Kneza Milosa street (which is situated in Belgrade's very center) was hit. So far, three people were killed on the spot in that attack: one policeman working as a night guard of the building of Serbian Government (accross the street) and two young guys in a car waiting on a semaphore in front Army HQ building. BTW, that building was always used for administrative army purposes and was completely empty since this war started. In the time of attack, it was surely not some kind of active command center... Around 03:10 am both radio and TV Studio B went off the air. Later I heard a news that NATO hit the transmitter of this TV, totally independent from Milosevic's power structure. In fact, that was the only news station Belgraders could somehow trust. Luckily, Studio B has more than one transmitter and it's alive again... how long it will last - I don't know... Just before the dawn, when I thought that party was finally over for tonight, Belgrade survived GODDAMNED earthquake! No joke! According to radio news it was a 5.5 Richter scale earthquake! GODDAMNIT, is there anything else that can strike on us?!? Maybe a vulcano eruption or tsunami or some bloody Godzila?!? So, I while I'm writing this mail by the open window, breathing air smelling like wood burning, I'm hearing a news on a radio about USA sending here some 10 more B-52s NOT equipped with cruise missile launching system. That means - A BLOODY CARPET BOMBING like in WW2 or in Vietnam! Oh boy, it WILL be a MAY-day soon! Over and out,

Slobodan Markovic

***************************************

ahoj

I am alive and partly well. To be precise I slightly cracked with brains, I don't smile much lately. I am on some psichiatric examinations right now, so I won't be going back to Kosovo for a couple of more days. One ic certain - I have learned how valuable is human life. All in all, it's very, very tricky. That's all for now, just wanted to make you happy because I am still alive (if that's something to be happy about).

bye Sicko

(Sicko is an anarchist from Kraljevo, who was drafted and sent to Kosovo, editor.)

***************************************

Environmental NGOs Oppose Escalation of Humanitarian and Environmental Destruction in Balkans

Environmental - Non Governmental Organisations, who are co-operating in neighboring Balkan countries (Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and the Republic of Macedonia), alarm European citizens for the long term consequences that the war causes not only in Balkans, but in the whole Europe as well, and call for actions to stop the violence and cruelty immediately: "The humanitarian catastrophe, the refugees generated and the innocent civilian victims of the ongoing war shock us, as everybody else in the world. AS CITIZENS AND INHABITANTS OF COUNTRIES OF THE REGION which is mainly affected, our members and we, have our own and maybe varied opinions on the reasons which caused the war in Kosovo/a. It is not our main duty, and we shall not try to take a position on this important and undoubtedly crucial question. However, we all OPPOSE BOTH ETHNIC CLEANSING AND BOMBING, we all agree on the urgent need to STOP THE WAR IN BALKANS IMMEDIATELY. We express our deep concerns on the escalation of both humanitarian and environmental destruction which the ongoing war causes in our homelands and our neighborhood. We believe that in order to resolve the recent problems raised in the Balkans there IS an alternative to violence and cruelty. AS ENVIRONMENTAL, NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANISATIONS, who are ACTIVELY WORKING AND CO-OPERATING on matters related to the conservation of natural resources and the environment IN THE BALKANS we have the particular duty to make everybody aware of the following serious issues:

- The very act of war has major environmental consequences, the destruction of the natural environment and material infrastructure of Serbia and Montenegro. At the same time, the hundred thousands of refugees generated by the escalation of the war, flows mainly to neighboring countries, which are obliged to host and take care of them, bearing the ensuing financial burden. None of these countries can in the short-term cope with such numbers and, before long could suffer severe social and political consequences. The Republic of Macedonia especially is likely to experience an upsurge in nationalist sentiment, which could bring war to another region. Replacement of the material infrastructure and restoration of the natural environment later on, will mean sucking dry all the remaining natural resources of all countries which are mostly affected, namely the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Albania and the Republic of Macedonia. - They are very alarming for any citizen, not only in the Balkan states, the reports that NATO has been using depleted uranium in its attacks on Serbian targets, both with its A10 attack aircraft and Tomahawk Cruise missiles. Depleted uranium is pyrophoric, bursting into an intensified flameup that releases micron-sized aerosol particles that can be ingested by military personnel or civilians. NATO is risking prolonged contamination of the natural vital resources and environment, putting at risk innocent civilians, especially children, now in the Balkans as well as Iraq. Depleted uranium has been condemned by the UN Commission on Human Rights, at its Sub-Commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities. The Commission requested that the Secretary-General prepare a written report on DU and certain other weapons of mass destruction (Resolution 1997/36). We believe this weaponry is being tested with complete lack of concern for its effects. - Furthermore, NATO's airstrike targets are (among others) Serbian chemical industries and refineries. Their bombing generates toxic gas-clouds, which are dangerous not only for the civilians in Serbia, but for those in all other Balkan countries, as well as in other European countries such as Austria, Hungary and Italy. Given that the area which NATO forces are bombing is at the centre of a wider geographical region in the Southeast Europe, and given that the Serbian territory is one of the largest sources of groundwater in Europe, the danger is really nightmarish. Severe consequences will last for several decades long after the end of the military action and will affect many generations of European citizens. - Last but not least, we wish to remind that wildlife in the area is suffering the same stress as human beings. Birds and large mammals, seeking refuge, have been already reported by Environmental Organisations in the Republic of Macedonia and Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. As co-operating Environmental Organisations who have experienced the benefits of fruitful co-operation between our countries and peoples, we express our concern for the new difficulties raised between Balkan peoples, under the given circumstances.

We are convinced that the policies of dividing Balkan peoples, of nationalistic discriminations, of racism and cultivation of hate against any heterodox and anything different, undermine any effort of prevention of the cultural and natural heritage of the Balkans, and deteriorate the current problems. We recognise that the ongoing war, the bombing and the ethnic cleansing make more difficult any effort to encourage cultivation of the values of peace, friendship, respect for the uniqueness of nations and minorities and of the transborder co-operation in this multinational and sensitive area. At the same time, we wish to express now, as in the past, our DEFINITE AND COMMON DECISION TO CONTINUE WORKING TOGETHER on the future to prevent the valuable cultural and natural heritage of the Balkans, one of the most rich and diverse in the world. The future of our home, of the Balkan peoples and the Balkan's nature, DEPENDS MAINLY ON ITS CITIZENS, on their decision to create, participate and support active movements, societies and networks of co-operation and solidarity. Maybe, this is the only way to reverse the process of humanitarian, cultural and environmental destruction in our region."

This declaration was prepared and is signed by the following organisations, which are are participating in "BALKAN-NET", the Balkan Network for Conservation of Large Carnivores. They are also actively co-operating the last years in the Balkans for other environmental issues: 1) "AQUARIUS" - Working for Sustainable Development (Albania) 2) "ARCTUROS" - Society for Conservation of Wildlife and the Natural Environment (Greece) 3) "ARKA" (FR Yugoslavia) 4) "ERINA" - Journalists' Legal Environmental Center (Republic of Macedonia) 5) MUSTELA - Wildlife Conservation Society, Ecolibri Bionet Agency (FR Yugoslavia) 6) DEM - "The Ecologists' Movement of Macedonia" (Republic of Macedonia) 7) SERM - "Society of Ecologists of the Republic of Macedonia" (Republic of Macedonia), 8) Wilderness Fund (Bulgaria).

***************************************

NATO KILLS CIVILIANS ACCIDENTALLY AND SERBS DO IT INTENTIONALLY

It certainly seems like this from the western point of view. On the other hand, according to Serbian official media it seems totally different: NATO is killing civilians intentionally and Serbian military by accident. Is the truth only on one of these sides, or is it somewhere in between?

For example, Serbian officials from the beginning of the conflict have been claiming that all they have been taking precausionary measures in order to avoid any civilian casualties. In real life, in conflicts with the KLA (which is operating usually from Albanian villages), Serbian security forces blow up from a safe distance with grenades the houses from which the KLA are defending and most oftenly killing much more civilians, women, children and elderly people than the armed KLA soldiers. This is justified by the fact that the security forces do not want to risk the lives of it's members by sending them to fight from house to house.

On the other hand, NATO is claiming that they are bombing only military, communication and infrastructure targets and that they are undertaking all possible means of precaution in order to avoid any civilian casualties. In real life, NATO pilots are bombing from high altitude and before the attack they do not fly low so they could, for example, checked whether the target on the road is a civilian or military. Or before hitting the rail bridge to fly over the railway in order to check to whether a train is not near crossing the bridge. This is justified by the fact that NATO does not want to risk the lives of it's pilots, because if they were to fly low the bigger is risk that the Yugoslav Army would shoot them down. In both cases a great number of civilians are wounded. Sometimes, NATO hits only civilian villages by accident, sometimes not. Sometimes the Serbian forces by accident hit the houses in which only civilians are, sometimes not.

Serbian authorities claim that they are fighting in Kosovo against the Albanian terrorists and not against the Albanian citizens, with a humanitarian cause to secure a peaceful life and to protect the human rights of all the people who live there. In real life, mostly civilians are wounded and suffer and the KLA strengthens.

On the other hand, NATO claims to be fighting against the regime of Milosevic and not against the Serbian people, with a humanitarian cause which was at first supposed to stop the humanitarian catastrophe and when the catastrophe happened, to secure the return of the refugees, a peaceful life and to protect the human rights of all the people who live there. In real life, mostly civilians are the ones being wounded and suffer and the regime of Milosevic is strengthening.

NATO sometimes admits, as it was the case with the Serbian TV, that they are hitting civilian targets on purpose and causing civilian casualties (technicians, auxiliary staff). That is justified by claim that the television is propaganda machine and legitimate military target. When the question of civilian casualties is raised it is said to be 'a target of great value', so it is easier to accept civilian casualties.

By targeting strategic, infrastructure and communication targets NATO hits civilian population in 99% of the attacks. Bridges, railways, tunnels, factories, electric and water installations are used mainly by the civilians and seldomly by the army. But, if NATO estimates that something has even a slight military significance it becomes a legitimate military target. In real life, it is not important that the civilians are being wounded and suffer. In real life NATO is expecting that the sufferings and woundings of the civilians come to a dissatisfaction which would result with a pressure on authorities in Belgrade. That may help the NATO to achieve its military and political aims. That, is obviously not working.

The authorities are claiming that the kosovar refugees are not running away from the Serbian military but only from NATO bombing. But, anyone with a reasonable mind can not fall for that story. But, following NATO's logic of magnifying its military's significance, the ethnic cleansing can be viewed from a totally different angle and may gain a positive and even a humanitarian mean. Every successful military commander who has the aim to oppose any ground troops shall, in case the local population is hostile toward his forces cleans the territory. That was unofficially confirmed by many Western experts and commentators but hardly anybody dares to say such a 'heretic' thought on the leading western media since NATO's strongest propaganda trump-card is the disaster of the Albanian refugees by which they are justifying their attacks on Yugoslavia. In that case, it seems that the ethnic cleansing, from the military point of view, is legitimate. So someone may say (for example Jamie Shea, in case he was the spokesman of the Yugoslav Army) that the ethnic cleansing besides the military even has a humanitarian justification since in that way the population is protected from mass killings in case of the invasion of NATO ground troops in Kosovo. The fact that the Serbian forces, according to unofficial sources, kill or rape someone so the other would be in the refugee convoys, someone could justify by the fact that it is better to sacrifice some in order to save the majority. In real life, the fact that the civilians are suffering and being wounded is not so important. The most important thing is that there is a military or political justification.

In real life, the Serbian authorities are expecting that the tragedy of the kosovar refugees shall bring to a dissatisfaction in western media which would result with a pressure on the NATO to stop the bombing of Yugoslavia in order to help the refugees which are still inside of Kosovo and which are suffering the most. But obviously this is not succeeding. Nor do the Serbian authorities nor does NATO care alot for the civilians. In real life, when things are viewed from an objective point of view, there is not much difference between NATO forces and the Serbian authorities.

Slobodan, age 30, university teaching assistant

***************************************

YHRF # 11

Arrests in Pristina, 29 April 1999

On 28 April 1999, Albin Kurti was arrested in Pristina, the former leader of the Albanian Students Union and spokesman to the former political representative of the Kosovo Liberation Army, Adem Demaqi. Albins father, an official with the Kosovo Parliamentary Party, was also arrested at this time, as well as Albins two brothers, Nazmi Zeka, the owner of the house where the Kurtis were temporarily residing, and Nazmis son. Witnesses claim that the arrest was conducted in an extremely brutal manner. Twenty-four hours later, Albins fifteen-year old brother and Nazmi Zeka were released; they both had visible signs of beating.

The day before Albin Kurti was arrested, on 27 April 1999, the brother of a prominent soccer player Fadil Vokrri, Adil, was arrested. No information has been available about the destiny of the arrested persons.

On 25 April 1999, Adem Demaqi was taken in for questioning. According to his account, he had been interrogated for two hours in relation to his attitudes towards the solution to the Kosovo issue.

There are other developments in Pristina, which cause a feeling of insecurity among the remaining Albanians. The police make rounds visiting homes and compiling lists of Albanians with permanent residence in Pristina and refugees staying with them. A number of Serb shopkeepers refuse to sell their goods to Albanians. There are only a few Albanians in Pristina whose telephone lines have not been cut off.

Dear friends,

Info about Zaginflatch is available on request.

Basically, with this newsletter we want to inform the international community (this is you) on how antiauthoritarians in Yugoslavia and ex-Yugoslavia feel in these moments. Also, as people who have experienced air raids and general alerts, we want to support our friends in Yugoslavia who are experiencing this today. We don't want to prejudice any political solutions to Kosovo and other ex-yu problems, we just want to help our friends, and support them in this way. All opinions published in Zaginflatch will be just personal ones. There is no joint platform. Zaginflatch will bring you hardly any news in the way mainstream media does it. For this kind of info we suggest you try cnn, bbc or some other services. They are available to you anyway.. This is meant to come from inside... Also, if you're into alternative news sources, we suggest you try at www.b92.net ...

Zagreb Anarchist Movement (ZAP)