anti-deprtation campaign alert fwd

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Mon May 3 21:26:57 PDT 1999

National Coalition of Anti-Deportation Campaigns (NCADC) 101 Villa Road Birmingham B19 1NH Phone: 0121-554-6947 Fax: 0870-055-4570 E-mail ncadc at ncadc.demon.co.uk Web www.ncadc.demon.co.uk/ ---

Nigerian asylum seeker killed during forced deportation by Austrian police

A 25-years old Nigerian died on Saturday 1 May 1999, during his forced deportation in a Balkan Air-aeroplane from Vienna to Sofia

"A sudden death" Marcus O. had been chained because of "lasting and heavy resistance", the Ministry of the Interior said. In addition, his mouth has been "closed" by a gummed tape.

Marcus O. was escorted by 3 detectives from the federal police department of Vienna. The Ministry said that O. had showed "lasting and heavy resistance" during check-in. The 25 years old "has been so loud, that the air personnel demanded we make him quiet as a condition for the transport".

The Ministry weeping crocodile tears said it "is deeply sorry" for the death of the immigrant. The chief of the responsible section announced a "complete and merciless investigation" of the circumstances.

The Ministry of the Interior ordered a preliminary stop of deportations.

The secretary general for public security, Michael Sika, stated in a racist way: "Other deportations are no problem. But if you have seen with how much power they (he means people from africa) are resisting, you would be more careful in criticising."

The plane departed at 17.55 from the airport of Vienna. About 20 minutes before arrival in Sofia, at 20.20, the detectives noticed that O. was quite. After arrival in Sofia chains and the gummed tape were removed, Marcus O. was unconscious.

Air personnel ordered medical assistance, said the Ministry. The doctor could only state that Marcus O. had died.

The Bulgarian authorities have ordered an immediate autopsy and the passports of the Austrian detectives have been confiscated. Today Monday 3 May, they are to be interrogated by a Bulgarian public prosecutor.

Marcus O. arrived in Austria, in September 1998 at the Airport of Vienna, he asked for asylum. It was refused on December 7th, and his deportation to Nigeria was ordered .

He was escorted by 3 detectives because of "suspected resistance" on May 1st to Sofia and should have been deported to Lagos the same day.

Although this case is the worst incident in Austria, it is quite clearly the result of the racist policy against immigrants. Lots of mistreatment have been reported over the last year. And this is representative for the racist policy of deportations by Fortress Europe.

Last year, Belgium polices killed Semira Adamu.

A wave of embarrassment rolled over Europe.

In this case we have to protest again, with no interruption. We have to stop Fortress Europe. We cannot allow them to miss-treat, to deport and to kill another migrant

Act now! organise a protest demonstration in front of your Austrian Embassy . Send them protest Faxes!

And also send Faxes (model letter below) of protest to : The Ministry of the Interior Karl Schloegl demanding his resignation Fax: 00-43-1-531-26-3910

A proposed text for a Fax of protest: -----------------------------------------------------

To the Ministry of the Interior Karl Schloegl Herrengasse 7 A-1010 Wien Fax: 0043/1/531 26-3910

We have been told, that on May 1st 1999 a Nigerian Marcus O. was killed during his forced deportation to Sofia.

Marcus had been chained and in addition, his mouth had been "closed" by a gummed tape.

Once more a human being who has not had the privilege to be a citizen of the rich European Union has had to pay with his life for demanding the right for asylum.

More than 900 people who lost their lives in the attempt to move to the European Union since 1992.

Last year the Nigerian Semira Adamu was killed by Belgium policemen. The Belgium Ministry of the Interior had to resign.

We demand: Karl Schloegl that you resign.

We also demand: that the Secretary General for Public Security, Michael Sika, resigns

-no more deportations

-suspend the racist laws for asylum in Austria and in the European Union

-removal of the responsible persons for the death of Marcus O. from their positions

With deep anger,

-------------------------------------------------------- For people in the UK, the fax number of the Austrian Embassy is: 0171-344-0292 protests should be marked for the attention of: Eva Nowotny

In Solidarity

John O