Matrix Redux

Brian Basgen musides at adelaide.on.net
Mon May 3 17:22:13 PDT 1999

>chance to see the film. One certainly *could* do a marxist read of it, I
>guess, but I don't know that reading would be particularly interesting.

A Marxist understanding of the film is in it's role in class struggle- how it actually helps bring class-consciousness to the masses.

Unfortunately, the films' largest problem is "The One" crap. That pretty well destroyed any real purpose this film could have. Then, amongst the group of the "free"-- we see human beings no better than those humans that apparently lead humanity into it's destruction- that is, most notably, the youngest human- a pimp.

One major focus of the film, however, is against materialism-- Being materialistic is seen as wrong/incorrect, but materialistic analysis is the key to being set free.

In this important aspect, the film is marxist-- though, I don't believe these opinions it stresses enough to distill them greatly into the viewer.

Regards,

Brian Basgen

================================== "If we plan to redistribute wealth of those who have too much in order to give it to those who have nothing; if we intend to make creative work a daily, dynamic source of all our happiness, then we have goals toward which to work. And anyone who has the same goals is our friend. If he has other concepts besides, if he belongs to some organization or other, those are minor matters."

Che Guevara 19 August 1960 =================================== -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/enriched Size: 1519 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19990504/3515a69e/attachment.bin>