guns prevent violence!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 4 06:40:55 PDT 1999

A choice bit from this paper is footnote 10:

"While the recent rash of public school shootings during the 1997-98 school [sic] took place after the period of our study, these incidents raise questions about the unintentional consequences of laws. The five public school shootings took place after a 1995 federal law banned guns (including permitted concealed handguns) within a thousand feet of a school. The possibility exists that attempts to outlaw guns from schools, no matter how well meaning, may have produced perverse effects. It is interesting to note that during the 1977 to 1995 period, 15 shootings took place in schools in states without right-to-carry laws and only one took place in a state with this type of law. There were 19 deaths and 97 injuries in states without the law, while there was one death and two injuries in states with the law."

Doug

----

"Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry

Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law

Enforcement"

BY: JOHN R. LOTT, JR.

University of Chicago

WILLIAM M. LANDES

University of Chicago Law School

Document: Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:

http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=161637

Other Electronic Document Delivery:

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/Publications/Working/

SSRN only offers technical support for papers

downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection

location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste

them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

Paper ID: University of Chicago Law School, John M. Olin Law &

Economics Working Paper No. 73