Krugman sad

Wed May 5 07:31:12 PDT 1999

>> The trouble with Japan, in other words, is that while key policymakers now
>> understand the nature of their problems, they still lack the intellectual
>> courage to act on that understanding.
>
>Good for Japan. Krugman's argument is, frankly, a bunch of neoliberal
>crap. Japan has a net surplus of 800 billion euros vis-a-vis the USA,
>has cash reserves of 2.7 trillion euros, is successfully bailing out its
>banks and granting its industrial base plenty of time and credit to
>restructure for the Long Boom...
>
>-- Dennis

Back in 1993 I would have agreed with you. But it has been a decade since there crash: that is a long, long time for "restructuring," and it has largely been a lost decade.

I agree that when the Japanese economy takes off it is likely to take off like a rocket. But I'm afraid I don't believe in the magical equilibrium-restoring virtues of the Japanese market without more government action...

Brad DeLong