Pinter on NATO "bandits"

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue May 4 08:22:16 PDT 1999

Brad,

My only caveat on your remarks is that Poland had mostly privatized agriculture since the 1956 uprising, after when the effort to collectivize was largely abandoned. There was a small state farm sector, which has since been privatized, but it was insignificant, on the order of less than 10% of the land area.

BTW, this is another case where privatization is not necessarily some wonderful magic bullet of automatic efficiency. Polish ag in fact was exactly the kind of counterexample that made the Marx/Stalin view of ag look good. Many of the Polish plots were/are way too small and all chopped up in funny shapes, just plain technically inefficient in scale terms. The long running struggles in Poland over food prices partly reflect this pathetic inefficiency which is still in place (and not helped by EU ag protectionism).

The contrast is Hungary which had collectivized but marketized agriculture. Hungary was long known for having the most efficient and productive agriculture in the Soviet bloc. There were many jokes from that period about this, e.g. the GOSPLANner suggests to Brezhnev, "let's increase orange production," and Brezhnev replies, "what, does Hungary produce oranges?"

BTW, the effort to privatize Hungarian agriculture turned into a mess with destruction of livestock and infrastructure, a curious replay of what happened in many countries during collectivization. Much of this reflected idiotic demands put forward by the Smallholders Party for restitution to previous owners, many of whom were living in cities. The resulting confusion over property rights led to a chaotic (not mathematically) and destructive situation. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 11:37 PM Subject: Re: Pinter on NATO "bandits"