guns prevent violence!

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue May 4 16:38:10 PDT 1999

On Tuesday, May 4, 1999 at 15:45:16 (-0400) Wojtek Sokolowski writes:
>At 12:41 PM 5/4/99 -0400, Barkley Rosser wrote:
>> The real problem with this Lott/Landes drivel
>>is that it does not make a proper comparison.
>>How about comparing the US (or the states in
>>the US with concealed gun laws) with the rest
>>of the world? Guess who has a whole lot more
>>deaths from guns, and I mean a whole lot more!
>

>Barkley, I generally like what you write, but I think you screwed up this
>one. Between-country comparisons are even more suspect than between-state
>comparison because the ceteris paribus condition is very difficult to meet,
>hence the attribution of causality is moot.

I think Barkley is spot-on here. Simply because cross-country comparisons must be done with care does not mean they are all "suspect".

According to a review by Booklist of the book *Crime Is Not the Problem: Lethal Violence in America*, by Franklin E. Zimring, "In most forms of nonviolent property crime, both nation-to-nation and city-to-city comparisons between the U.S. and other developed countries display remarkable similarities; only in terms of lethal violence (crimes that produce death or serious injury) is the U.S. four to eighteen times 'ahead' of other nations".

Bill