chill out (was: guns prevent violence!)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 6 09:08:50 PDT 1999

At 12:57 AM 5/7/99 +1000, Angela wrote:
>the tribunal, the power of the courts to intervene in these matters has been
>all but wiped out (they cannot decide on matters of merit, if claimants
>appeal to the courts they are penalised, etc).
>
>in short, talk of immigrants lying to 'get in' are merely an ideological
>preface to keeping them out, and have very little to do with what is or is
>not happening.

Angela, I think we are talking about two very different animals here. I am talking about a "model immigrant" - caucassian, relatively well educated, escaping the "horrors of communism" - uebermenschen if you will.

You are talking about ungrateful dark-skin people escaping the benefits of US-imposed dictators, err... national saviors and IMF structural programmes - tiermenschen if you will.

Wojtek