latest LBO

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 7 10:33:36 PDT 1999

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:

> Well, I finally got my latest LBO. A few remarks, first
>on the Hayden interview on Kosovo.
> 1) Hayden labels Milosevic a "dictator." I think that
>we have established on these lists that he was democratically
>elected, however imperfectly.

Hitler was elected, wasn't he? The anti-Milosevic folks in Yugo have been saying that the war turned his regime from an authoritarian one into a totalitarian one.

> Congrats to Doug on the section on transfer payments and
>poverty drawing on the LIS studies. Well done!

Thanks.

> My only complaint involves the use of the term "corporatism."
>Esping-Andersen may use it to describe the German style system
>in contrast to the Scandinavian or the British/US. But this is an
>idiosyncratic usage out of line with how most people use the term.

That may be, but it's become pretty standard in the income/poverty literature since E-A coined it about 10 years ago. The distinction is between a welfare state organized around one's membership or non-membership in a certain group (industrial sector, blue collar vs. white collar, employed vs. unemployed, male breadwinner vs. stay-at-home mom, etc.) vs. the universal one.

Believe it or not, the word corporatism isn't in the American Heritage Dictionary.

Doug