Barkely's guide to Kosovo

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon May 10 10:53:17 PDT 1999

Michael,

I know where the top four are by name. Beyond that, fairly early on in this the Washington Post published a map, wish I had saved it, that showed a much larger selection of such sites. Virtually none were in the north.

The top four are almost certainly, the monastery in Pec that is viewed as the sacred center of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is in the west of Kosovo-Metohija in the Metohija part, more south than north, but pretty much middle. Next would be the Field of Blackbirds, Kosovo Polje, site of the battle in 1389 in which the Serbian Prince Lazar died at Ottoman Turkish hands, although most historians think the battle was a draw and was a largely religious one with then Christian Albanians siding with the Serbs against the Muslim Turks (conversions of Albanians to Islam came later). Kosovo Polje is in a suburb of the Kosovan capital of Prisitina which is just southeast of the center of Kosovo-Metohija. Probably next most important are the monastery of Glagovica which is in the far south and has been bombed by NATO and the castle of Prince Lazar in Prizren, in the far south also. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, May 09, 1999 2:41 AM Subject: Barkely's guide to Kosovo